Book this event if you would like to attend all 5 Mushroom Mondays in September and get 5 classes for the price of 4!
This is a new 5-week course in mushroom identification for the Alaskan forager, gardener, or citizen scientist. Each class builds on the previous one. Each class will start with a talk, and end with a walk to find what new mushrooms the rain has brought to fruition.
Classes will be held on Monday evenings in September from 6:30-7:30pm. Come to one, two, or all five!
– Class 1 is an introduction to fungi: we will learn what fungi are, how they grow, and dispel some myths about fungi.
– Class 2: Identification intensive! Learn how to identify 19 different families of gilled mushrooms.
– Class 3: Ecological roles of fungi. What are fungi doing in the environment? Learn how people are harnessing the abilities of fungi for good.
– Class 4: Ethnomycology! How people use mushrooms for food, medicine, and ritual. Learn resources for growing mushrooms at home. Try some chaga tea!
– Class 5: Conservation mycology. Learn how to use the free iNaturalist app and become part of the citizen science community! This is the last day of the course, so we will celebrate with a mushroom potluck.
Classes are $25 each or $100 for all 5.Recommended experience: Beginner
Interested in this class?
Registration closes on Mon, Sep 02 06:30 PM